Gone are the days when you have to use a classic, passenger-operated bike to get from point A to point B. Are you looking to get somewhere a little quicker, but would prefer not to drive a car? Hybrid and electric bicycles to the rescue!
Modern electric bicycles are built to provide bicycle commuters assistance when needed, such as when traveling longer than usual distances, when carrying a few extra grocery bags, when climbing a hill or when carrying extra passengers, for example. Most electric bicycles are not built to only be powered by the electric motor, but some of the more expensive versions do offer that option.
The market has been flooded with hordes of new electric bicycles in the last five years, some good and some bad, making it harder to find the best one for your specific needs. To help you out, we have identified the best five electric bicycles below, because we understand how complicated the process can become.
The 10 Best Adult Hybrid and Electric Bicycles:
This list below covers the 10 most popular electric bicycles found on Amazon.com. Whether you’re looking for a mountain bike, folding bike or dirt bike, this list covers a variety of electric options for any consumer at every budget.
The Ancheer Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike is made with durable aluminum alloy and carbon steel, featuring a 21-speed transmission system and the ability to ride it without the pedals or with the pedals for an added workout. At top speed, this bike gets up to 25 mph and has off-road capabilities (hence the Mountain Bike aspect of it). The frame design of the Ancheer is very sleek and modern and has a quiet motor operation suited to be used on trails and in an urban environment.
- The front fork is made of high-strength carbon steel with comfort shock absorption.
- It has a large capacity lithium battery that is 36V, 8AH and removable. The battery pack design fits into the downtube but can also be charged on or off the frame.
- Customers have remarked that the assembly instructions are difficult to understand.
- The battery can be difficult to remove easily.
Looking for an electric bike that stores away easily? The Cyclamatic CX2 Electric Bike is a foldaway bike which means it requires minimal storage space. This electric bike is perfect for those who love to travel and bring their bike with them to explore the area.
Even though this design is compact for folding, it still packs a powerful punch and great performance. It can get up to 15mph on flat roads and go 4-6 hours on a fully charged battery. It’s also safe to ride in the rain, so enjoy exploring various areas as you travel with this relatively inexpensive option (just over $600).
- This bike has a 250w motor that gets you up to 15mph on flat roads.
- You have your choice of operational modes with this bike: use as a bike or choose partial electric to amplify your efforts.
- Super easy to fold up and store away.
- It can take a long time to recharge.
- Manual has poor quality pictures and difficult assembly instructions.
Interested in a dirt bike? Look no further than the Razor SX500 that is inspired by one of the best motocross riders in history, Jeremy McGrath! This bike features dual suspension and riser handlebars and authentic McGrath graphics and fairing design.
Be a force to be reckoned with on those dirt paths with this super-charged bike. The Razor SX500 gets up to 15 mph with 40 minutes of continuous use and supports riders of up to 175 lbs.
- This bike has hand-operated dual disc brakes and a retractable kickstand.
- It has a genuine dirt bike frame geometry featuring a high torque and variable speed motor.
- It is reasonably priced at about $500.
- The bike can only hold 175 lbs of rider and equipment.
- Some customers have remarked that the battery life isn’t the best.
Another great folding bike on the market is the ANCHEER Folding Electric Mountain Bike. Unlike the Cyclamatic, this electric folding bike is designed as a mountain bike to handle easily off-road.
It has ultra-strong, 26-inch bead spoke wheels made of aluminum alloy and anti-slip wear resistant thick tires – perfect for the road or a rainy/snowy mountain path. This bike also has a mechanical front and rear disc-brake design and 21-speed Shimano professional transmission system, which greatly helps the ability to climb hills more effectively.
- On the affordable side at just over $700.
- It has a large capacity 36V/8AH lithium battery that supports 25km (e-bike mode) to 50km (assisted mode) riding.
- Battery charges fast, within 4-6 hours.
- The motor tends to be a little weak for uphill.
- The bike itself is heavy at 60lbs.
The ProdecoTech Phantom 8 Speed Electric Bicycle is a sleek, modern and very fun-to-ride electric bike. The bike frame itself is a rigid down tube aluminum with a RockShox 100mm 30 Silver Suspension.
This bike contains a twist throttle control with avid DB1 hydraulic brakes. It can get up to 20mph at top speed and can go 25-35 miles per charge. This version 5 Phantom series sports a more powerful 600 watt motor than compared to its earlier versions, and it also contains a powerful and trusted Samsung battery system.
- Fun bike to ride with good tires, good motor and good mileage per charge.
- Very sleek design in matte black with an aluminum frame and continental traffic tires.
- Expensive option at over $2,200.
- It does not do well off-road.
The Haibike XDURO Race is a very efficient, beautiful and fast electric bike. It is a racer as it is designed with deep-dish aero rims, 11-speed cassette, streamline integrated lights and drop bars. As you can see, the bike comes with some extra special features that you will not typically see on the traditional road style bikes, costing you approximately $6,700.
Additionally, the bike is capable of reaching 28 miles per hour; this is in the highest level of pedal-assist vs. the 20 miles per hour you find in regular bikes. Thus, if you are looking for speed, this bike accommodates that.
- The bike has a lightweight frame of approximately 40 pounds, and a sound drive system as the battery and motor pack are mounted low and at the center of the bike.
- It has an impressive 11-speed cassette, not forgetting quality Shimano Ultegra components that offer you comfort cadence at many speeds.
- It has a little aluminum alloy chain guide that keeps the chain from dropping on the front sprocket when you are at high speeds.
- The battery pack takes up a lot of space, especially in the area a water bottle cage could have otherwise been placed.
- The bike has no throttle mode; it only offers you pedal assist but is capable of attaining higher speeds.
- Also, see Habike Xduro Trekking.
The Pedego Interceptor is a large, sturdy and powerful bike with an adamant power source, as it has a 500 watt geared hub motor. The bike is much lighter than most electric bikes at 61 lbs. However, it will still provide you with great torque and not forgetting the needed space with a seven-speed Shimano Acera cassette.
The bikes gearshift runs very smoothly as it uses a twist grip style kind of shifter that is cleverly mounted on the left handle of the bike. It can go to speeds of up to 20 miles per hour; all of these features make it worth $2,895, approximately – on the higher end of the budget.
- The bike has wonderful extras, such as a built-in bell, rear and front lights, and a seat post-shock.
- It has braze-on mounting points that are on the down tube adding a small cage for your water bottle.
- The seats of the bike have been designed in a manner to make your riding experience comfortable with rubber bumpers. You have the option to have the seat in leather or a colored layout.
- You will need to avoid lifting the bike from the seat, as the seat post shocks could be fragile.
- The battery pack of the bike is mounted very high towards the back of the bike; it seems to be less ideal than the lower, mid-mount design, which could have been a better-balanced option.
The Voltan Alation 350Electric Bicycle is a good off-road bike that has a purpose-built specially designed to keep the weight of the battery low and keep the bike balanced (unlike the Pedego). It offers around 350 watts of power, which is about the average amount.
However, due to its mid-mounted configuration, it can climb much better and can reach higher speeds than the hub motor would. This powerful bike goes for approximately $2,249, which is pricey but affordable for all the features it has.
- The front shocks of the bike are smooth ensuring you good travel; it offers lockout to reduce the bob when you are riding on the road.
- The fenders on the bike can minimize the exposure to mud and water; it is reinforced to limit any rating when the bike is used off-road.
- It is a 350-watt mid-drive, which is capable of climbing a hill when used in conjunction with an eight-speed Shimano cassette.
- The rear lights of the bike run off its individual battery instead of using the main pack. As a result, this makes it easier to forget and wear down the battery.
- The bike does not have a braze-on for you to mount a water bottle cage on the seat post down tube.
The Kalkhoff Tasman electric bike is considered one of the most utilitarian and refined bikes that is around. It is produced by one of the largest German electric bike manufacturers, ensuring the bike comes with all the features you could ask for in a good city bike.
It comes with a dynamo-powered LED light, fenders, a fully enclosed chain and a quite responsive torque sensing system that is smooth. The bike is designed with a gel seat that has a suspension seat fork and suspension seat post, and a quick-adjust stem. Last but not least, it has these beautiful, sweptback handlebars making it worth the steep price tag of $3,399, approximately.
- The front gear and the lights of the bike are powered by Shimano dynamo, assuring you they will continue to work even when the battery runs out.
- It has a battery pack and a mid-drive motor that is properly mounted at the back of the seat tube, which ensures it keeps the weight low and is centered on the bike.
- The bike has a perfect combination of extras; a water bottle brace that is on the mount, rear and front lights and fenders, a tool-free adjustable stem, handlebars and a bell (because everyone eventually needs to use a bike bell).
- The bike is available in three different frame sizes with a step-through making it easier for you to get on.
- The bike will only offer you pedal-assist mode; there is no twist or trigger throttle.
- It has a bolt-on style rack that will require proper maintenance and assembly to avoid rattling over time.
The Focus Aventura has a list of beneficial features. However, we shall look at those that make this electric bike desirable for many. As you admire the bike, you notice the extra attention to detail that has been put into it, making it worth $4,999, approximately.
The bike is a speed pedelec; this means it can go above 20 miles an hour to a maximum of 28 miles per hour legally, with the highest level of pedal-assist. If you are a person who likes to go trekking, commute for long distances, or just simply enjoy the beauty of speeding, then this is an excellent fit.
- The bike has a high-speed of 28 miles per hour speed pedelec, which cuts the time you will have to travel long distances.
- It has an integrated LED light by B&M; it is sleek and improves your safety.
- The front wheel of the bike offers a quick release that helps in the reduction of weight in the frame during transportation.
- The bike has good hydraulic disc brakes that stop the bike efficiently; however, they are not able to cut the power to the motor. As a result, you might find the torque sensor activating when you are pushing down the pedals at reset even though you are still holding the brakes.
- The lights on the bike are not dynamo powered like most focus electric bikes, meaning they can run off the main battery and may turn off once the battery is completely expended.
Other Hybrid and Electric Bike Options:
The Raleigh Route Electric Bike runs right in the middle of affordability at just over $2,000. This bike allows the customer to add free professional bike assembly to their purchase by shipping the bike to your local bike shop to get a technician to put it together for you properly.
The design is a sleek, black and blue color with 10 speeds and the ability to get up to 28 mph. The battery is a 48V Lithium-ion, 8.7 Ah, 417Wh, and the bike has strong wheels with 700x45c tires and Weinmann double-wall rims. This powerful bike and motor will make you feel like you have bionic legs as you power through the city in style.
Another affordable option at $1,639, the Cyrusher Fat Tire Electric Mountain Bike boasts a lot of great features for avid riders. This bike can support more weight than most bikes on the market at up to 360 lbs and has a 500-watt electric power motor and a 38V-10.4amh battery cell.
This electric bike can get up to a max speed of 25mph and has a cruising distance of 30-35 miles under electric power. Another great feature is the company says the battery life cycle can handle over 500 recharges. It also comes 90% pre-assembled, making it easier to put together; however, the company still recommends you take it to your local bike shop for that last 10% assembly.
Another ideal option for larger riders or riders who carry a lot of gear is the Addmotor MOTAN Electric Bicycle. It can handle up to 350lbs and is designed to accommodate adults between 5’6” to 6’8”. This bike has a 750W power plus brushless motor and a 48V 11.6AH lithium battery.
These two features give you better hill assist and the battery boasts a faster charging than other bikes (4-6 hours for a full recharge). Another great feature of this bike is that its durable frame and tires were specifically designed as an all-terrain bike. It’s effective on the road, dirt trails, mountainside, beach sand or even the snow.
The bikes that have been mentioned above offer the user different attributes that vary from city to mountain bike, low to high price and speed. It all depends on the individual user and how they rate their needs.
However, one bike that stands out as just simply an eye candy bike is the Haibike XDURO Race. One of the few electric bikes that have been able to offer drop bars, this gives you the option of using the down position of the aerodynamics and not forgetting speed.
The bike is light-weight, has stiff cranks, a decent aluminum alloy platform pedals, designed with a rigid frame to ensure good power transfer and a tapered head tube to increase the strength of the bike. This bike is all flash and all features, and definitely a favorite on our list.
Whichever you go with, make sure you shop around and get the best bang for your buck and that your chosen bike checks off all your must-haves. Happy riding!
Bethebro is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.