What if you could carry your bike around with you, no matter where you went? Whether it be a weekend gateway or a new State altogether, carrying a foldable bike with you makes traveling really easy. And it isn’t just the holidays that you would love to spend with your folding bike. Folding bikes are popular with more people opting to go for folding bikes for daily use.
The popularity is because it’s compact and really easy to carry around with you, unlike the traditional bikes. You can easily move it and it can be stored anywhere without taking a lot of space. Interestingly, the bikes were first used for military use by the French and British armies. Today, folding bikes are a favorite among daily commuters as they can be carried on public transport and then even to their workplaces.
The 5 Best Selling Folding Bikes:
If you’re simply looking for a high quality affordable folding bicycle you can ride from point A to point B, then your best option is to choose from one of the 5 best sellers listed below.
- Discover the convenience and utility of the Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bicycle. In just a few easy steps,...
- Great for camping or RV-ing, this durable steel bike packs up so small that no bike rack is required. The...
- Tackle small hills and cut through brisk winds easily, thanks to a seven-speed Shimano RevoShift Twist...
- The rear carry rack and an included nylon carry bag keep the bike protected and concealed. Perfect for...
- Fashionable, advanced Suspension, Shimanos Derailleur, SHimanos EF500 3*7 Shifter
- 3 spoke Magnesium wheels: lightweight and more durable. Gift for friend. Disc Brakes.
- Product size: 26 inches ; Product folding size: 94x88x38cm/37x34x15in ; Product packaging size:...
- F/derailleur: Shimanos TZ-30; R/derailleur: Shimanos TZ-50; Shifter: Shimanos 51-7; Freewheel: 7 tower...
- 【7-Speed Folding Bike】The shifting handle and rear derailleur allow you to easily change the speed as...
- 【Rugged Frame & Foldable Design】With high-strength iron frame, this folding bike has strong...
- 【Adjustable Handle & Seat Height】 Made of high quality aging resistant rubber and aluminum alloy...
- 【V-style Brakes】This bicycle is equipped with front and rear V brakes, which make the brakes more...
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Michael Billingsley (Director)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- 【2020 New Mountain Bike】This Mountain Bike is designed for cycling enthusiasts who want to take up...
- 【21 Speed Grip Shifter】This bike has tires that will work well in off road trails as well as street...
- 【Lightweight & Portable】The bike is lightweight, weighs only about 33lb, won’t prohibit a rider...
- 【Enjoy Cycling】Quick stops are an inevitable part of the sport.When you’re ready to ride, its large...
The 5 Best Folding Bikes:
So, which foldable bike will be right for you? If you are low on budget but want to get hold of a foldable bike that can stick with you for years, here is a list of some of the best folding bikes that you can find under $500.
This Schwinn is very popular among young people. It is mostly preferred by people for commuting. The 7-speed bike is easy to fold, compact, simple to carry around, and has a solid loop. It is a comfortable ride.
The 20” bike normally costs around $240 and weighs around 32lbs. It can carry weight up to 230lbs and people with height up to 6” easily. Its folding dimensions are 30″ X 32″ X 11 Inch. It might not be a beach cruiser, but it looks pretty cool anyway.
- Compact and easy to carry
- 10 seconds of folding time
- No locking system once folded.
- Slightly uncomfortable seat pad
This one’s one of the lowest-priced bikes available that can give you total value for money. It is affordable and easily fits into everyone’s budget. With a silver finish frame, it looks elegant and good for both men and women.
This is a 6-Speed rear derailleur bike with a kickstand, built-in carrying rack, built-in mudguards, and safety reflectors. The bike weighs a total of 35 pounds. It has an adjustable seat and can carry up to 280-lbs, which means a lot of people can go for it except maybe a few people who are overweight.
From the users’ point of view, it is easy to put together and easy to fold. This is a very cheap bike that gives you the best at this price.
- Easy to fold and put together
- Adjustable seat
- The handlebar causes a little trouble during storage
- The saddle is a bit uncomfortable
Here’s another really good bike that’s within your budget. This might be a brand that you haven’t heard of very often, but it’s got high-quality features for the amount of money you are paying.
It has the 6-speed Shimano rear derailleur built-in mudguards, a kickstand, and other common features too. The bike weighs around 31 pounds, has a steel frame, and it isn’t very heavy compared to most bikes. The Faulkner 6 Speed has a capacity of up to 225 pounds, which is not a nice option for people who are on the heavier side. The ride is smooth and needs little space for storage. It comes with a strap to hold the wheels when the bike is folded.
- High-quality components
- Highly adjustable brake levers.
- The kickstand works perfectly only on perfectly flat surfaces.
- The handlebars are a little awkward when folded.
The Columba 26” Folding Bike w. Shimano Black is a very good looking foldable bike and is best suited for commuters and students.
When folded, it is very compact and can easily fit in anywhere, even the trunk of a car. It weighs around 34lbs and is quite easy to carry around and fold and store it as well. Unfolding the bike is equally easy and takes around 10 seconds which is a very good speed. It is a Shimano 18 speed shifter and derailleur bike, and can carry weight up to 200 lbs and riders with height less than 6”.
- Easily fits into cars for storage
- Great gears and brakes
- The handlebars are a little awkward when folded
- The seat is not very comfortable
This one from Dahon lives up to their building quality might be a little above the budget of $500, but it is totally worth the price. It stands out from the others and gives you a very comfortable and smooth ride and manages to give you the feeling of riding a full-sized normal bike.
It has a 26.7 pounds, lightweight frame that makes it easy to carry around, 7 Speed, built-in mudguards and a nice flexible riding system that lets you adjust your position for different types of roads.
It has quick assembly and a very quick folding speed of about 15 seconds. The weight limit is 230 pounds, which can be a little difficult for people who are a little bigger than average. But it easily accommodates tall people, so if you’re as tall as 6’4” and weigh less than 230lbs then you will comfortably fit in.
- Quick folding time of 15 seconds or even less
- Lightweight and Easy to carry around
- Tires need to be frequently pumped
- Not very comfortable to roll when folded.
Which Folding Bike Should You Pick?
Folding bikes have a different mechanism that is possible due to certain structural properties of the bikes and a varied number of parts. There are various kinds of Folding Bikes in the market, and these can be classified by various factors like folding speed and ease, size and dimensions, weight, quality, and durability.
With different combinations of these factors, the prices of the different bikes vary too. Some of the most popular brands of folding bikes today are Brompton Bicycle, Dahon, Strida, Raleigh Twenty, and Tern.
You have to decide what features matter to you the most, and the budget that you would want to spend. Before you buy folding bikes, you must keep certain things in mind like:
1. The weight you would want to carry.
2. Stick to the basic functionality and don’t try to find one with multiple add-ons.
3. Wheel Size usually decides how large the frame of the bike is. So based on the wheel size decide what you are comfortable with.
4. Speed: If you have to travel long distances it’s better you go for a bike with greater pedal power and most of the folding bikes are designed for shorter travel distances.
Your choice needs to be based on these considerations. For instance, if you are really looking for a more portable buy, you would want one that weighs less. If you’re looking for speed, your choice could be a different one. However, to ensure that the folding bike you buy delivers on the basic functionalities- you really wouldn’t want to miss out on that.
Bethebro is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.