What if you could carry your bike around with you, no matter where you went? Whether it be a weekend gateway or a new State altogether, carrying a foldable bike with you makes traveling really easy. And it isn’t just the holidays that you would love to spend with your folding bike. Folding bikes are popular with more people opting to go for folding bikes for daily use.
The popularity is because it’s compact and really easy to carry around with you, unlike the traditional bikes. You can easily move it and it can be stored anywhere without taking a lot of space. Interestingly, the bikes were first used for military use by the French and British armies. Today, folding bikes are a favorite among daily commuters as they can be carried on public transport and then even to their workplaces.
The 5 Best Selling Folding Bikes:
If you’re simply looking for a high quality affordable folding bicycle you can ride from point A to point B, then your best option is to choose from one of the 5 best sellers listed below. Apart from being affordable, the bikes listed below have proven, time and time again, to be the firm favorites for thousands of folding bike owners. They also ship to nearly anywhere in the world and come with some form of warranty and quality assurance.
- Lightweight aluminum frame; folds in seconds and is easy to carry so you never need to leave it outside.
- Genuine Shimano components with 7 speeds and grip style shifter.
- Easy single fold stem, folding pedals, magnet catcher to hold fold bike's frame securely together.
- 2“ multi-terrain tires and v-style brakes.
- LIGHT WEIGHT AND EASY TO TRANSPORT: The bike easily folds to fit into the trunk of a car making it...
- EASY TO USE: Folds Flat in Seconds, Folded Dimensions Approx. 29" L x 24" H x 13". Easy to carry and easy...
- 7 SPEED: Genuine 7 Speed quality name brand SL-TX30 Shifter, quality name brand RD-TZ50 Rear Derailleur
- PERFECT SIZE FOR ANYONE: The comfortable seat easily adjusts to most riders ranging from five feet to...
- 20 - inch folding bicycle designed for commuting and exercising.
- Shimano 6 speed shifter and derailleur. semi-alloy front and rear V-brake.
- WANDA 20" x 1.75 tires
- Quick removable front handle stem. with alloy silver color cap & PVC black bell.
- Provides a stronger, faster, more reliable stopping power than the traditional V-Brake Systems; Disc...
- High tensile steel folding frame that could withstand rough mountain trails and folds flat in seconds...
- Includes Shimano products that are known to last, including derailleur and shifters; Also includes alloy...
- Front & rear shock absorbers that could withstand many tough terrain mountain trails or daily commutes
- 【7-Speed Folding Bike】The shifting handle and rear derailleur allow you to easily change the speed as...
- 【Rugged Frame & Foldable Design】With high-strength iron frame, this folding bike has strong...
- 【Adjustable Handle & Seat Height】 Made of high quality aging resistant rubber and aluminum alloy...
- 【V-style Brakes】This bicycle is equipped with front and rear V brakes, which make the brakes more...
The 5 Best Folding Bikes:
So, which foldable bike will be right for you? If you are low on budget but want to get hold of a foldable bike that can stick with you for years, here is a list of some of the best folding bikes that you can find under $500.
Here’s another bike that’s very popular among people. It is mostly preferred by people for commuting. The 7-speed bike is easy to fold, compact, simple to carry around and has a solid loop. It is a comfortable ride. The 20” bike costs $240 and weighs around 32lbs. It can carry weight up to 230lbs and people with height up to 6” easily. Its folding dimensions are 30″ X 32″ X 11 Inch.
• Compact and easy to carry
• 10 seconds of folding time
• No locking system once folded.
• Slightly uncomfortable seat pad
This one’s one of the lowest-priced bikes available that can give you total value for money. It is affordable and easily fits into everyone’s budget. With a silver finish frame, it looks elegant and good for both men and women.
This is a 6-Speed rear derailleur bike with a kickstand, built-in carrying rack, built-in mudguards, and safety reflectors. The bike weighs a total of 35 pounds. It has an adjustable seat and can carry up to 280-lbs, which means a lot of people can go for it except maybe a few people who are overweight.
From the users’ point of view, it is easy to put together and easy to fold. This is a very cheap bike that gives you the best at this price.
• Easy to fold and put together
• Adjustable seat
• The handlebar causes a little trouble during storage
• The saddle is a bit uncomfortable
Here’s another really good bike that’s within your budget. This might be a brand that you haven’t heard of very often, but it’s got high-quality features for the amount of money you are paying.
It has the 6-speed Shimano rear derailleur built-in mudguards, a kickstand, and other common features too. The bike weighs around 31 pounds, has a steel frame, and it isn’t very heavy compared to most bikes. The Faulkner has the capacity of up to 225 pounds, which is not a nice option for people who are on the heavier side. The ride is smooth and needs little space for storage. It comes with a strap to hold the wheels when the bike is folded.
• High-quality components
• Highly adjustable brake levers.
• The kickstand works perfectly only on perfectly flat surfaces.
• The handlebars are a little awkward when folded.
The Columba 26” Folding Bike w. Shimano Black is a very good looking foldable bike and is best suited for commuters and students.
When folded, it is very compact and can easily fit in anywhere, even the trunk of a car. It weighs around 34lbs and is quite easy to carry around and fold and store it as well. Unfolding the bike is equally easy and takes around 10 seconds which is a very good speed. It is a Shimano 18 speed shifter and derailleur bike, and can carry weight up to 200 lbs and riders with height less than 6”.
• Easily fits into cars for storage
• Great gears and brakes
• The handlebars are a little awkward when folded
• The seat is not very comfortable
This one from Dahon lives up to their building quality might be a little above the budget of $500, but it is totally worth the price. It stands out from the others and gives you a very comfortable and smooth ride and manages to give you the feeling of riding a full-sized normal bike.
It has a 26.7 pounds, lightweight frame that makes it easy to carry around, 7 Speed, built-in mudguards and a nice flexible riding system that lets you adjust your position for different types of roads.
It has quick assembly and very quick folding speed of about 15 seconds. The weight limit is 230 pounds, which can be a little difficult for people who are a little bigger than average. But it easily accommodates tall people, so if you’re as tall as 6’4” and weigh less than 230lbs then you will comfortably fit in.
• Quick folding time of 15 seconds or even less
• Lightweight and Easy to carry around
• Tires need to be frequently pumped
• Not very comfortable to roll when folded.
Which One Do You Need?
Folding bikes have a different mechanism that is possible due to certain structural properties of the bikes and a varied number of parts. There are various kinds of Folding Bikes in the market, and these can be classified by various factors like folding speed and ease, size and dimensions, weight, quality, and durability.
With different combinations of these factors, the prices of the different bikes vary too. Some of the most popular brands of folding bikes today are Brompton Bicycle, Dahon, Strida, Raleigh Twenty, and Tern.
You have to decide what features matters to you the most, and the budget that you would want to spend. Before you buy folding bikes, you must keep certain things in mind like,
1. The weight you would want to carry.
2. Stick to the basic functionality and don’t try to find one with multiple add-ons.
3. Wheel Size usually decides how large the frame of the bike is. So based on the wheel size decide what you are comfortable with.
4. Speed: If you have to travel long distances it’s better you go for a bike with greater pedal power and most of the folding bikes are designed for shorter travel distances.
Your choice needs to be based on these considerations. For instance, if you are really looking for a more portable buy, you would want one that weighs less. If you’re looking for speed, your choice could be a different one. However, to ensure that the folding bike you buy delivers on the basic functionalities- you really wouldn’t want to miss out on that.