The elliptical training machine is one of the more popular fitness machines, which simulates walking up stairs and is used by athletes to get cardiovascular exercise. When it comes to muscles, the main strain on the elliptical is aimed at the leg muscles, but some other muscle groups such as abs are also impacted.
The main aim of most people when using elliptical, similar to a treadmill, is to lose weight and stay in good condition, allowing them to perform other activities such as lifting or sports more effectively.
The 5 Best Selling Home Elliptical Machines:
- iPod compatible audio, 7" backlit display, 32 workout apps, 24 resistance levels, 5" elliptical stepping path with 10" vertical
- Integrated tablet holder, EKG grip pulse heart rate monitor, integrated in-handle controls, commercial-grade steel construction
- Multi-function handlebars, cool air workout fan, Inertia-Enhanced flywheel, oversized cushioned pedals
- Water bottle holder, transport wheels, leveling feet, 350 lb. Weight capacity
- The ProForm Cardio Trainer is protected with a lifetime frame warranty, 3-year parts warranty, and 1-year labor warranty. Refer User Manual...
- Goal Track capability enables users to set individual exercise goals
- 22 programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 custom, 2 fitness test & 1 quick start
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
- DualTrack LCD displays
- DESIGN: Natural Elliptical motion eliminates any bouncy movement that other competitive elliptical experience.
- TENSION RESISTANCE: 8 Level magnetic tension resistance adjustments can provide the user with a more challenging workout
- COMPUTER: An easy to read large window LCD display that indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, scan and target zone heart rate...
- TARGET ZONE MONITOR: Pulse pads on the additional stationary handle bars provide heart rate monitoring
- QUIETNESS: The precision balanced flywheel and V- belt drive provide a smooth and quiet operation. It will not interfere with watching TV...
- Easy storage after your intense workout, 18 lb. Effective flywheel, 18 inch stride length, Transport wheels
- Vertical SpaceSaver design, 0 - 10 degree power adjustable incline, smr silent magnetic resistance. 24 preset workouts for pro training
- Adjustable oversized pedals, EKG grip Pulse, water bottle holder, out of the box Assembly, soft touch upper body grips
- IFit Coach Ready, 5" Backlit Display, OneTouch Resistance Controls, AutoBreeze Workout Fan, 22 Digital Resistance Levels
- The SpaceSaver SE7i comes with a lifetime frame warranty, 2-year parts warranty, and 1-year labor warranty. 325lb user weight capacity
- 24 levels of smooth Magnetic Tension resistance. 21 Computer pre-set Workout Programs
- 3 Computer goal workout settings: distance, time and calories burned
- Backlit LCD Computer displays distance, time, RPM, calories burned, speed, pulse, odometer and Watts
- A Double Transmission system results in increased momentum and a smoother striding motion
- An 18 inch smooth elliptical stride length provides a comfortable and full range work out without any strain on the knees or ankles
Choosing The Best Elliptical Machine
Ellipticals come in many shapes and sizes. You can get one for anywhere between $80 and $2000 and which one you choose will depend greatly on who you are, what your aims are, what kind of a gym or home gym the machine will be installed in etc. While the simple machines will allow you a single setting and still provide for good cardio, the more advanced machines allow you to set all sorts of parameters such as incline and resistance.
The 5 Best Home Elliptical Machines:
To help you pick, we compiled a list of several of our favorites among the elliptical machines, to give you a pick in all price categories. Here are our personal top 5 elliptical machines:
1. Exerpeutic Aero Air Elliptical – Value for Money
Another very affordable elliptical machine that allows you to adjust the strap tension and lets you perform rhythmical motions with no stress to the joints. The addition of a dual action workout lets you also work your upper body, namely your arms, while you perform cardio. This means you will be performing leg and arm exercises and burning fat all at the same time. The machine also comes with a display that shows you distance, time and speed as well as estimate of calories burnt and with the extremely affordable price, this machine will be fantastic value for your money.
2. Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer – Space Saver
This is a very simple elliptical machine. It consists of a simple two pedal system that allows you do cardio in limited space with good efficiency. The product comes with an electronic display showing strides per minute, total strides, calories burnt and other workout factors. The machine also features no slip design pedals and very sturdy construction, which combined with a very low price will make for one of the best options for a home gym.
3. Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine – Like a Spaceship
A more professional machine, the Schwinn 430 allows for a number of advanced options. The machine comes with 22 pre-programed plans and fantastic progress tracking possibilities. The LCD monitor on the machine will let you monitor up to 13 different feedbacks while the 20 resistance levels provided by this elliptical make sure it is a great machine for beginners and professional athletes alike. The machine also comes with a USB charging port which, while a minor feature, may come in really handy when your iPhone or mp3 player is running low and you need music to get you going.
One of the best things about Schwinn 430 is how detailed the reporting is. The goal tracking and data export system will let you keep up to date with your workout routine and you will always know how far along you are to the goals you have set for yourself.
4. Exerpeutic 1000Xl Heavy Duty Magnetic Elliptical – Affordable, Easy
Another simpler solution, the Exerputic 1000Xl is great for home gyms or small local gyms. The machine features 8 levels of tension resistance, allowing you to vary your workout routines, while a standard LCD monitor will show you the usual stats such as distance, calories burnt and time spent using. This elliptical boasts its extremely quite operation, which will let you watch TV and burn calories at the same time in the comfort of your bedroom. For those of us who don’t want to or can’t get the time to go down to the gym on a daily basis, this contraption is a fantastic and affordable solution.
5. Sole Fitness E35 Elliptical Machine – Powerful
To top off our list, we chose a really professional and advanced elliptical machine. You were given a fair amount of picks in the budget category and while this machine does not fall into that category, its value is actually fantastic for certain people. This powerful elliptical is fully adjustable so anyone who uses it can set it up to their body’s dimensions. Featuring six standard programs, two custom programs and two heart rate programs, this machine lets anyone get the best out of their own cardio workout. The machine will let you work your upper and lower body while burning calories and you can track it all on a very advanced LCD display that shows a number of useful data.
In addition to all the usual things you may expect from an elliptical, this machine also comes with heart rate sensors built into the handle bars allowing you to track your heart rate and not overdo cardio. This is really important for athletes or bodybuilders who need to make sure they don’t overdo anything so they could consistently train. The incline and resistance adjustability lets you set up your workout the exact way you imagined it. This is the most advanced machine on the list and while it may not always be the best option for your bedroom, if you have a basement gym it will fit in perfectly.
Which Should I Buy?
It will really depend on your needs and your budget. As a beginner, you may want to go with something simpler like Exerpeutic Aero may be the best choice to put in your bedroom. As you progress you may want to save up for a more advanced elliptical though, especially as you start taking your trainings more seriously with time.
For professional athletes, bodybuilders or gym owners, we would recommend getting the Sole Fitness E35, as this machine really has all you could possibly want from an elliptical. The ultimate choice will come down to you, but you should make sure you always get the best value for your money and also the right contraption for your own body. Getting a subpar product will just end up costing you even more when you finally decide to purchase the machine you needed the whole time.